Greetings! I wanted to introduce myself in greater depth to anyone I’ve met at the EFA’s national conference in New York City and who arrived here via Google, LinkedIn, or my business card. If we only had time for a few words between sessions, or if we met at a long-ago EFA function and you need a refresher, here are some details about my practice and background; my contact info is in the final bullet point:
- I’m a full-time freelance copy editor and proofreader. I’ve been self-employed for 7½ years, and I’ve worked as an in-house staffer or freelancer in the publishing industry since 1992.
- I’ve been an EFA member almost as long as I’ve been freelancing full time. I’m very excited to be attending the conference as I don’t get into the city as often as I’d like despite my proximity (Bergen County, NJ).
- My fields of experience include psychology, social sciences, healthcare/medicine, college textbooks (especially history, religion, and philosophy), computer texts, business books (case studies, business biographies, and motivation), and general trade and pop culture books.
- I also proofread in the preceding areas, but I’m comfortable proofing just about anything.
- Most of my clients are publishing houses, but I also work with individuals. The latter most frequently offer dissertation editing or pre-submission articles.
- I’m one of those odd people who works happily in American Psychological Association style, but I also work in Chicago and American Medical Association styles.
- Areas where I would like to expand my practice include working more often with individual clients (especially repeat/anchor clients), developmental editing, and editing science texts requiring styles such as Scientific Style and Format or American Chemical Society.
- Earlier in my freelance career, I also wrote articles for healthcare professionals. You can read my work here; I am particularly proud of this article on crisis nursing after the Haiti earthquake.
- I’m also an American Copy Editors Society member and have attended the last three conferences. (Outlook for attending the St. Petersburg meeting in 2017 is good!)
- I am a winning Jeopardy! contestant. My reign of terror lasted two days; I won on the first and came home with lovely parting gifts on the second. Ask me which question I and my fellow second-day players all failed to answer!
- I’m on Twitter as @jamesfraleigh, and my email is james dot fraleigh at g m a i l dot com.
Thanks very much for reading, and enjoy the conference and the Big Apple!